With the growing popularity of eLearning for education, for students as well as professionals, there has been increase in developers of eLearning courses. For the success of an eLearning course, two elements are vital – conten t creation and course design. It is usually seen that developers pay critical attention to content creation and tend to overlook the design. For any eLearning course, interactivity is required to improve skills of learners and deliver results. Creating an eLearning course is not easy, and time and resource also act as constraints for developers. But, an effective eLearning course requires significant proportion of time, commitment, hard work and resources.
No matter which subject or niche eLearning course you are developing, you need to ensure that the course is relevant, qualified and processed. Here are few tips to develop effective eLearning courses –
- Understand the level of knowledge of your target audience. Survey the target audience to determine their prior knowledge and expectations from an eLearning course. You should also have an idea of educational status and amount of industry experience of target learners.
- Create blended eLearning strategy involving synchronous and asynchronous components. So, it is better to create a course outline first and then proceed with the details. Include the goals and objectives of learners while determining the course outline. It will help in keeping the eLearning course on track and keep learners motivated.
- Do not focus only on textual information; your eLearning course should also include visual presentations and other forms of content delivery. You can also include live chats, conferences, lesson recaps and others to make the course more immersive.
- To make the course more interactive, you can include online scenarios or walkthroughs in the course. You can also include virtual tutorials and give leaners opportunity to ask questions.
- Get feedback from the course audience to achieve desired performance and goals. You can develop feedback and communication guidelines to streamline the process.
- Make sure the lessons are concise and self-contained. Students must get clear idea where lesson ends as it helps to boost morale of students. Also, if you make learners access other resources during the course, it will act as distraction and take away attention of the learners. So, if possible do not give external links to videos, resources, websites or any other media.
- Mark achievements with badges or rewards of some kind. It helps in encouraging learners to complete further lessons and also creates interest. Before developing any kind of reward, you need to know what motivates your learners.
- Develop problem solving scenarios as they are more effective in transferring information and more meaningful. Challenge understanding of learners, and do not provide them with upfront information always.
An eLearning course needs to be interactive, informative, immersive and flexible to ensure it is effective and engaging. Remember, learners need to be beneficiaries of eLearning courses, so make sure they are effective and rewarding.